Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a John Deere D125 Riding Mower. Bought last year, has

Customer Question

I have a John Deere D125 Riding Mower. Bought last year, has 70 hours, has been serviced regularly. It developed a problem a week ago where it would only run on full choke without surging, and even then would only run for about 10 minutes before quitting. It would start again, but runs just for short periods and only on full choke. I replace the fuel filter and that appeared to fix the problem, but after an hour running it did the same thing again. I again replaced the fuel filter but this time it made no difference. Should I replace the fuel pump?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! This engine has an electric solenoid in the base of the carburetor, it has to open the main jet in the carburetor. It is supposed to click open as soon as you turn on the key, and has to stay open to keep the engine running. Do you hear it click each time you turn the key on and off? It has to have 12 volts to operate. Best test is to remove it , and plug the hole to test.