Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Cub cadet commercial 54" enforcer model 53AI3AGT750. blades

Customer Question

cub cadet commercial 54" enforcer model 53AI3AGT750.
blades engaged, then quit after a few minutes. belts all fine. blades/bearings fine. maybe clutch is slipping and needs adjustment?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Clutch shows to be an adjustable type, the closer the magnet is to the armature, the better they work! But check the battery voltage with the clutch engaged, to see if the charging system is keeping up, it has to stay above 12 volts, or the clutch will drop out!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should the gap between the magnet and armature be? To check voltage, can i unplug at the clutch, engage the pto, and using volt meter get reading at the plug?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Gap can be as close as .010 inch. As long as the clutch will release, the closer the better. And yes, you can check voltage at the clutch harness. But you also want to check battery voltage when the clutch is running!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. I'll do and check when i get off work.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Voltage is 11.8 at the clutch plug with pto engaged so that's good. Having difficult time getting clutch off of shaft. Will have to raise the mower in order to get a puller on it. Will try tommorow.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Was that with engine running? What is battery voltage? 11.8 is a little on the low side.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine was running. It's a 12 volt battery
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Fully charged 12 volt battery should read over 13 volts. I would like to have the same at the pto clutch connector! I just don't want you to buy a 300.00 clutch to find out you still have clutch drop out!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So - try a new battery?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
No, but have it tested!