Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a craftsman 42 inch zero turn I was mowing

Customer Question

I have a craftsman 42 inch zero turn I was mowing for about 5 minutes when the power dropped in half I disengaged the mower deck and limped the mower to my garage then the engine died I tried to restart the mower but the engine will hardly turn over it has a new battery what could have caused the malfuction
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! This is the Briggs single cylinder engine. Is the oil level correct? Is the oil thin from having gas in the oil? Does the oil smell of gas? Is the battery good? Do you have a voltmeter to check the battery voltage? Is battery voltage above 12. 5 volt?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
voltage on battery is 12.9 oil is at proper level and feels normal also no odor of gas in the oil
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Battery seems to be up. So remove the spark plug and see if the engine spins easily. With the spark plug grounded , check for spark too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry to break this up over several days I work a split shift I pulled the spark plug and the engine turned over also spark plug was getting spark while it was not in the engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
That's ok. So engine will not start? Hard to turn? What does the battery voltage drop to , when you try to start? Does it drop below 8 volts?