Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My mower wont start or shut off with the key switch. It runs but I have to use a jump wire

Customer Question

My mower wont start or shut off with the key switch. It runs but I have to use a jump wire at the starter and kill it with the brakes. It is a toro 322d groundmaster with a 3 cylinder diesel. I replaced the ignition switch
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! The engine has an electric solenoid to kill the engine, by pulling the kill lever. Are you getting battery voltage to this solenoid when you turn key off? If you use battery jumper wire to the solenoid will it retract?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No idea what you are asking! Just a dumb farmer here. All I know is that I went to start it one day and it wouldn't turn over so I jumped the starter when I tried to shut it off it wouldn't when I turned the key off

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
You kill it with the key. So it has a solenoid that pulls the kill lever on the engine to kill it. With low voltage or dead battery you have no voltage for the solenoid to kill the engine. Fix the battery problem, and the solenoid is likely work!