Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Poulan Pro chainsaw and oil will not come out to lube

Customer Question

I have a Poulan Pro chainsaw and oil will not come out to lube the chain. The 2 holes in the bar were plugged with sawdust and I removed all sawdust and it is completely clean up to the groove for the chain. Unsure WHAT to do????
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
Hello,what model Poulan? Are you using bar and chain oil and not motor oil? If you run the saw with the bar and chain off does oil come out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a Poulan Pro. Model # PP4620AVX (46cc) Yes I always use bar and chain oil. I have not tried running the saw with the bar and chain off but will try that tonite when I get home. Is there a separate pump that supplies the oil or is it gravity feed?
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the oil pump is behind the drum and clutch assy's. Have you run the saw while the chain brake was on? If so that can damage the saw chassis and melt the plastic pump gear and housing along with the main chassis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ran the saw last night and no oil came out, and so obviously I have a bad pump. No, I haven't run the saw with the chain brake on. How easy is it to change the pump and about what does a new pump cost?
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
You can order the pump from here : http://www.searspartsdirect.com/poulan-chainsaw-parts/530014410/0071/358/model-PP4620AVX/1324/1503220.html
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
You need to remove the clutch drum e-clip,special washer then the drum.There is also a small spacer washer under the drum.The clutch screws off and is left hand threads. A special tool is needed but you may be able to loosen and remove using a hammer and punch.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
Here is a video on a similar Poulan saw.Go to the 2:52 min mark for drum and clutch removal.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDRk8fqtmSU