Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Troy built pto horse: i am working on a troy built roto tiller.

Customer Question

i am working on a troy built roto tiller. its a troy built pto horse rear tine model. when i engage the tines the motor dies. i have found problems n the tine gear housing. i cant get it apart. could u help me to get it apart and help me fix it? thank you
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Jack (MR.PUTTPUTT). I will do my best to assist you today. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your Troy-Bilt, I run a MTD Troy-Bilt warranty and repair center and I am a certified tech on most makes and models and I am very well versed in the horse models, but I will need a little info on your model as the horse has many variations of it, can you give me the serial number from it this number should be on the transmission part at the top or upper side
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Mathew, thanks for all the great pictures, is your question how to get the tines attachment apart?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. sorry i wasnt at the machine when u ask for model #. but i took pictures before i left today. the tine housing was dry of fluid. all bearings need replaced. would u help me through the repair until it works again? yes i guess the first thing would b disassemble. i would like to get it fixed as soon as possible. thank u and God bless

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
I will see if I can locate a service manual for this one, and post it for you, the tine housing is fairly easy to do as long as you have the tools to do it, I will have to get to the manual later today after lunch. thank mathew
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok that sounds good. thanks a bunch

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
I will post asap
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello Jack. hey i just wanted to make sure u hadnt forgot about me! i wanted to finish getting it apart today. but i really need to get it apart n the morning! thanks

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Didn't forget I'm trying to load the manual for you but the site is being a stinker I have to compress the file as the site says its to big so it hope that it will work for me in the am I hope to have the file size reduced by 10 am central and I will load it sorry for the delay
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Mathew, I am loading the file I hope to have it to you shortly
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Mathew, the file was rejected for some odd reason, so lets start with me typing it out, the first steps you have done is removing the tine assy. now what you need to do is on each side of the tines from the end there will be a long bolt that holds the tines to the shaft you will need to remove each bolt they are recessed into the end of the tine shaft, these bolt hold the tines to the shaft, the shaft is tapered with a key, I use a air hammer to get these un-stuck from the shaft as they ten to rust on a bit then once the tine assy. are off this will expose a circle of bolts on the left side of the housing they could be allen head bolts or 5/16 head bolts, you will need to remove the bolts I think that there are 6 bolts once these are out the cap/cover will be removed and then the tine shaft can be removed, once the tine shaft is out you can remove the drive/worm shaft that runs through the unit. does this make sense so far?