Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a problem with my Ariens RM9028 riding mower, it starts and backfires and

Customer Question

I have a problem with my Ariens RM9028 riding mower, it starts and backfires for 15sec and it shuts off can't get it started after that.
I cleaned the spark plug checked all the safety switches, tried to start it and it ran for a few seconds with the rpm going up and down and then it shut off again and couldn't start it again. thinking it might be the coil??
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I need the engine model number! Is this OHV engine or the older flat head? It had been running fine? Now backfires and shuts off? Is there an electric solenoid in the carburetor?