Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a 17.5 BS (31C707-3346-G5) that is approximately 18

Customer Question

I have a 17.5 BS (31C707-3346-G5) that is approximately 18 months old. The engine ran fine in 2013 and 2014( it would not start on full choke but would on half choke and always fired right-up). This spring I re-installed the battery and put fresh gas in it. I then attempted to start it. The motor turns over like it's supposed to but will not fire, nothing not even a fart. I checked the air cleaner it is good. I checked the spark plug for spark and it is good. I attempted to start the mower again and played with the choke still nothing. I then I decided to spray a little starting fluid in the carb and bingo it started. I then adjusted the idle and away I went to cut the lawn. While I was cutting I had to stop the mower to pick up debris in the yard and it started right back up. I finished cutting the lawn and put the mower away. The next week I attempted to start the mower and same scenario, NO START. I sprayed starting fluid in the carb and I was off to the races. This system for starting the mower is getting old. Do you have any suggestions.
ps. I have adjusted the valves to .005 and .007
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Have you cleaned your carburetor recently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mower is only 18 months old. If the carb is dirty how it starts and runs perfectly when I use starting fluid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this information. That was only a troubleshooting question. Have you looked, to confirm that your choke is actually fully closing on your carburetor, although your choke lever is in choke position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have put choke in all positions with the same results
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Choke is working
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
May I ask you a question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! What steps did you take to confirm that your choke is working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It visually check it opening and closing.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
If you remove your plastic engine cover, and put your hand over the opening of your carburetor, will your engine start without you using starting fluid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't done that. I guess I will have to get back to you.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
May I make a suggestion to you?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
After you remove your engine cover, and finish checking to see if you can start your engine, by placing your hand of your intake elbow, I would like for you to do something additional. Remove your intake elbow from your carburetor, and take a good look at your choke butterfly. With your intake elbow off, you will get an accurate view of what is actually going on. Your intake elbow is held in place with two nuts. You can use a 7/16" socket to remove them. Please take a look at the image I have attach for you.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Click on the link to open the image. Thanks!