Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

John Deere 320 riding lawn mower with a 22 Hp Kawasaki twin

Customer Question

John Deere 320 riding lawn mower with a 22 Hp Kawasaki twin air cooled is overheating / losing power. Any ideas? I've changed the air filter, fuel filter, oil, both coils, cleaned the engine cooling fins, and changed the drive belt. All recently with no improved performance. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Have you ran a cylinder test to see if both cylinders are equal? Loosen the spark plug wires and with the engine idling, remove one wire at a time. Both cylinders should be equal. If engine dies when one wire is removed the opposite cylinder is not firing. Check it for spark, and compression. If both are good, check the valve clearance. .006 inch for intake and exhaust.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm pretty convinced my loss of power is not due to the engine. Everything checks out fine, and there's no noticeable change in engine characteristics coinciding with the loss of power. I think the issue is but likely due to the "non-serviceable" transaxle... In this case a Tuff Torq K58. Do you recommend replacing the transaxle fluid, or purchasing a rebuild kit?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
From your description I had assumed that it was engine related, as to what you had does already! You could try to add a small amount of transmission oil through one of the two plugs/vents on top of the transmission. Replacing the fluid would accomplish nothing in my mind. Before rebuilding transmission, I would run the engine cylinder test, just to rule it out.