Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Im Tony, I own a 2001 troy bilt ltx1842 lawn tractor with

Customer Question

Hi im Tony, I own a 2001 troy bilt ltx1842 lawn tractor with a briggs motor model#31q777. Tractor runs great until its warm then idle starts popping a bit then stalls out. its starts back up right away bt then it happens again in a couple of mins. I replaced carb, coil, air, fuel filter and still same problem
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! have you ever checked the valves? .003 to.005 inch on intake, and .004 to 006 on the exhaust. If valves are too close, it can cause misfiring.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't. it idles and purrs like a kitten until hot. Then it has like a stumbling type idle. Hard to explain. Tonight i tried removing fuel cap when it started doing the problem, thinking maybe vapor lock. I removed cap engine continued to run but eventually shut down, but always starts back up. I would even know how to check valves or adjust.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
You can find a U-tube video that covers it, just do search for Briggs Intex OHV valve adjustment. You say you bought a new carburetor, do you have the old one? Does it have the electric solenoid in the base of it? Take the old solenoid, and cut the tip off it, then use it as a dummy in the new carburetor to test. Solenoid can loose voltage and act up. It has to have 12 volts to operate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i will check you tube tonight. Yes i have old carb still. I will do this all tomorrow and let you know thank you
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so i checked valve clearance and its perfect. I also used other soleniod and cut tip off and still having the same problem. it runs great for 10-15 mins great idle and everything. After 10 mins it starts stumbling for 2 mins then shuts off. It restarts then it happens within 2 mins again...stalls out starts right back up and within 2 mins again. Only when cold it lasts 10 to 15 mins
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Take a spare spark plug, and when it quits, take the spare spark plug and attach it to the spark plug wire, and with it grounded, see if you have spark. I know you have replaced the coil but it needs to be checked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the coil resistance on the new one with a meter and it reads under 2.5 which according to the manual is good. Anything to 5 is good after 5 replace. The old one read 6.7
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I would recommend the test when it quits.