Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a ss4235 with a 20hp kohler. It would not start and

Customer Question

I have a ss4235 with a 20hp kohler. It would not start and stay running so I changed the spark plugs and fuel filter. Drained the old fuel and replaced it with ethanol free fuel. I had the prime the carb to get it to start, and when it did it blew out alot of blue smoke. It did stop smoking and I let it run for a little while then tried to shut it off. It wouldnt shut off and backfired several times. I had to choke it to get it to shut off, and it seemed like the engine was hotter than it should have been. What do I do?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I see question still open. Do you still need help with it? The engine has to have the coils grounded out to kill the engine. Is the wire going to the coils in place? It comes direct from the keyswitch to the engine coils. The keyswitch should ground the spark when the key is turned off. Is the harness to the key switch tight and making a good connection? Do you see any damage to the wiring harness from mice?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everything seems to be in place. the harness is in good shape, the ground is connected, the fuses are good. im going to try to start it again today and see what happens. yesterday I had to hold down a horizontal rod by the fuel assembly to get it to start. Dont know what that is or why I had to hold it down, but we will see if it backfires again today.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me know. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did try it again. no smoke this time, but I still had to prime it with fuel and hold down that little arm. and it still wont shut off unless i choke it, then it backfires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ill try to send you a picture. not sure if itll let me. give me a few minutes.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Above the typing bar is a tree or paperclip icon for attaching pictures.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lets try this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have to do one at a time
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK, what are you trying to show me? What is the loose wire connection in the far left photo?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont know what this is but its on the right hand side of the engine, and theres nothing apparent that it connects to. the arm with the red on it is the one that i have to hold down to get it to start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if you would like to call me, that would be fine. probably faster as well.(###) ###-####
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The arm with the red is the governor lever. Does engine still not die? What happens if you ground this wire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have not tried to ground it. didnt want to mess anything up.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a volt/ohm meter to test the wire? If it is to ground, or has voltage? Something is keeping the engine from shutting off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hang on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
zero on volts. 0.8ohms
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with the engine not running
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK, so see if grounding it will kill engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. but it started right up and ran. it didnt really backfire this time. you remember how older cars would sometimes keep running in a sputtering kind of way before finally dying? thats what its doing.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Two things are supposed to happen when key is turned off, the coil is grounded to kill the spark, and the fuel solenoid is supposed to shutoff fuel to the main jet in the carburetor. Sounds like the coil is not being grounded and the fuel solenoid is slow to cut off too. I'm thinking key switch may be the problem.???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ill let you know.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK< thanks.