Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

21-inch mower with electric start and drive. Briggs and Stratton

Customer Question

21-inch mower with electric start and drive. Briggs and Stratton 190 cc engine. This is the mower's third season. First and only time I have had this or any other problem. When started, it does reach the full, normal RPM. It surges, but will not reach full power. Within 2-5 minutes is stalls-out - faster if I engage the drive. It alway restarts. It does not seem to be flooded. I changed the air filter and spark plug today but still no joy.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Have you drained the carburetor float bowl? Is this the first start this year? This engine has a metal needle valve in the carburetor and it has a rubber seat that the needle seats on. If the rubber seat swells from the ethanol in the gas, it can restrict the fuel flow into the flat bowl.