Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 42" MTD riding lawnmower that was working fine for

Customer Question

I have a 42" MTD riding lawnmower that was working fine for about an hour, but then died I get it restarted if I pour fuel into the carb. but it then dies as soon as that fuel burns off. I took the fuel line off and it is getting fuel at the carb. any
ideas on what I can check next ? Also what type of oil do I use on this ? It is a Briggs and Stratton 16.5 hp engine
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Oil type will be 30 wt or 10W30, same quality you would use in a vehicle, high detergent oil. Do not use non'detergent! The carburetor, does it have an electric solenoid in the base? It has to open the main jet and has to have 12 volts as soon as the key is turned on and has to stay open, or engine gets no fuel through the main jet!