Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a Snapper 28" cut rear engine lawnmower, three years

Customer Question

I have a Snapper 28" cut rear engine lawnmower, three years old. It has a Briggs and Stratton 12.5" engine. I only used it a month or so last year due to illness. Changed oil and put new plug in it this year but it pops and runs rought when I am mowing and sometimes back fires or after fire when I shut it off, probably because I did not lower the choke when I turned it off. The constant popping noise while using it is the problem and it dies when I cut the gas down to turtle speed. What could be the problem? Gas problem maybe?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. The first thing I would do is pull the carburetor off and clean it thoroughly, remove the brass center jet if it has one spray out all the ports and passages with carburetor cleaner. Drain the old fuel and replace it with fresh gas then test it , most likely the gas has started to go bad and the engine is having trouble burning it