Frank
Frank, Small Engine Tech
Experience:  I've been a small engine technician for 10+ years. EETC Certified.
71382593

My toro riding mower is not sucking gas. new filter and pump, new fuel lines. the pump is

Customer Question

my toro riding mower is not sucking gas. new filter and pump, new fuel lines. the pump is located high on the engine. if i lower it to the level of the fuel line it pumps fuel. raise it back to normal position and it will run until the fuel in the line between the pump and carburator is gone. will not pull fuel from the tank. can i install an electric pump to assist?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Try this video and let me know if it helps any.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAUZUPoopSI
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No matter how low the oil level it still pushes oil into the fuel pump vacuum tube and blocks it off. Then the fuel stops flowing. After I drain it it takes about 5 minutes to plug up again. This seems to be the only problem.

Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
If there is excess oil building up in your vacuum line, I'd suspect a head gasket leak.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The head gasket is new. Engine was rebuilt with new gaskets

Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Well I'll research it a bit more if you're certain. But if it looks like a duck and acts like a duck, chances are...
When and why was the engine rebuilt?
There could be clues right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2 years ago. About 50 hours since

Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Well, it's definitely possible. Depending on conditions a gasket can fail pretty quickly. When the engine is running, is there smoke coming out of exhaust? It would mean it's burning oil. And if so, I'd push the head gasket probability.
You shouldn't have that amount of oil in your vacuum line is why I'm thinking head gasket. Another possibility could be your breather valve is failing, that's another possibility.
Some how there is crank case pressure building.scenarios are: Piston ring blow by,leaking head gasket, damaged breather, valve clearance. Those are where I'd look.
The fact that this motor had been open once already is concerning and possibly related.
can you complete these info request please.
-Equipment Make:
-Model:
-Serial Number:
-EngineMake:
-Model:
-Type/Spec Number:
-Code/Serial Number:
-How many hours/years are on your equipment?
-How long has the problem been occurring?
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
If you're confident it's not a head gasket leak, (test with compression tester to be sure if you have access to one)
then I'd say investigate/replace the breather assembly. it's possibly sticking/not functioning.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Checking it out tonight.

Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me know what you do and what you find.