Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I noticed a piece of the chassis assembly (part no###-##-####

Customer Question

Hello, I noticed a piece of the chassis assembly (part no###-##-#### ***** broken off my 235e chainsaw. This is in the vicinity of where the brake handle attaches to the saw, on the clutch side. I see I can purchase the chassis assembly for around $55. Can you tell me if the chassis assembly is a split assembly? And if so, can I replace it on the clutch side of it only? I can't tell if it is two piece or not. I see it basically surrounds the entire bottom of the chain saw. It butts up to the chain break assembly and the pull cord assembly. Thank you. Barry
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, can you point out what portion is broken?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I've marked up the pics you provided. What is broke is just the protruding plastic tab that the arrow is pointing at. The cause of the breakage was attempting to remove the chain brake cover without first disengaging the brake, and then trying to disengage the brake after being successful in removing the chain brake cover. I had to disengage the brake by holding cover at an angle and pushing very hard on the brake handle. I did manage to disengage it, but broke that piece in the meantime. I just want to be sure I have a properly functioning brake in the end. I also don't know if replacing the entire "one piece" chassis body will be much of a job. Thanks.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
Does the spring loaded black piece stay in place? The hand gaurd may not sit properly and could strip out and the brake won't work as designed. If everything will stay in place assemble and tighten the cover. Then engage and disengage the brake several times without running it to check for any malfunction