Rex L.
Rex L., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  auto-diesel graduate. small engine and John deere and silver certified in stihl.
34138167

I have a 2009 john Deere x500 garden tractor. The Pto

Customer Question

I have a 2009 john Deere x500 garden tractor. The Pto clutch fell off/broke in two . I see the parts available on line for around $140. I am somewhat handy but have limited equipment to lift the up the tractor so I can squirm under there and replace it. Also it looks like the bolt holding it in sheared off ,does that mean the remaining bolt end is still stuck in the threads.is this an easy replacement or should I take it to the dealer .
Tom
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rex L. replied 2 years ago.
If the bolt has sheared off the other end is most likely still stuck in the crankshaft of the engine. If none of the bolt is sticking out it may have to be drilled and use an easy out to get the bolt out. This is difficult to do from the ground. If you don't have the correct tools I would take it to the shop. the bolt has to be drilled out correctly or you can ruin crankshaft and will need new engine.