Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a 5000w kohler 5ck gen set, 1996? it runs fine

Customer Question

I have a 5000w kohler 5ck gen set, 1996? it runs fine for 5 min, sounds like it leans out or drops load, then shuts off.fuel filter good, air cleaner too.then it starts after 30 min and the process repeats. A temp sensor or something g going bad?It does not run hot, and only has 100 hrs on it. Ran good for years before this . Thanks,,
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Thank you or requesting me.
What is the specification number of the unit?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Hank,
Unit is model 5CKM21
Spec 10121t
Ser 403619
Thanks Dave
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
This sounds more like a fuel pump going bad. Lets check it out.
Start the genset and let it run until it shuts down.
When it does shut down, while it still won't stat back up, check to see if you are getting spark to both plugs. If you are not, we will need to check the ignition system.
If you are getting good spark, disconnect the fuel line from the carburetor, and press the start button. Is the pump pumping fuel?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, no spark after it shuts down. Sprayed starting fluid into intake while cranking. Nothing.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
If you have no spark after the unit shuts down, then the problem is in the ignition system. Most likely a bad coil (ignition module according to Kohler).
The coil is located under the engine shroud. Both plug wires and a smaller shutdown wire will come out of the coil. The small shut down wire will be numbered 72.
Locate the connector for wire 72.
Start the engine, and let it run until it shuts down.
When it shuts down, just disconnect wire 72, and check for spark again.
If you still have no spark, the coil is bad and will need to be replaced.
If the engine does start, we will have to look elsewhere. You will not be able to shut the genset down with wire 72 disconnected, so you will need to plug it back up to shut the unit down.
.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked into this yet?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been busy at work,,it takes some time to get the engine cover off where it is at in the coach. I will test as you
directed as soon as possible. I have a new fuel pump to install as well. Will get back asap. Thanks for the advice so far,
it was well worth it!
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
I know all about being busy, my friend. I work 2 jobs, and help on Just Answer in the evenings. I have been working OT at both primary jobs.
Just let me know when you are ready to proceed.
.