Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 2012 mule 610 xc that is hard to start. More so after

Customer Question

I have a 2012 mule 610 xc that is hard to start. More so after it has been run during the day
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is only 300 hours on it. It could be a vacuum problem ??
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! In the carburetor will be an electric solenoid. This solenoid has to click open as soon as the key is turned on, Listen for the click when engine is cold, turn key on and off listening for the click, then when the unit will not start,listen for the click, no click ,no fuel. The solenoid has to have 12 volts to operate. It can loose voltage, or it can be sticking, or overheating. I assume you have checked for fuel at the carburetor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, the model number is ***** There is no electrical connection to the carburator. BUT I did find a wire that was burnt off. It is on top of the engine in the back. There is no spark. The wire is green with a white stripe. It is a double wire with a big plug and the plug has blue ends. I am going to splice a piece into it and see if that helps. All the lights work and the and the engine turns over.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK. Lets see if you have spark with the wire repaired. Thanks for the reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fixed the wire and it works great so far. I have one other question. When I started having trouble starting it a friend said the muffler could be clogged with carbon. Had a heck of a time getting the plug out. Finally drilled it out and got some carbon out of it. Could not get the second plug out. Put on a new muffler and that seemed to help for a while. Then the electrical electrical problem popped up. Anyway, will a carboned up muffler make it hard to start? It ran good once I got it running.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Muffler rarely gives a problem on a four cycle engine. They can get carbon ed up, I would not rule it out, but the odds are against it !