Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a Snapper LT145H38DBV riding tractor. 14.4 hp hydrostatic.

Customer Question

I have a Snapper LT145H38DBV riding tractor. 14.4 hp hydrostatic. starts and runs well, blades won't engage, when I let up on the brake/clutch pedal, it kills the engine. When I try to engage the blades, it kills the engine. I unplugged the switch for the brake/clutch pedal and used a jumper wire and now continues to run without holding the pedal all the way down. Have unplugged the switch on the blades and can now pull up on the engage blades lever and continues to run but blades do not engage. Have confirmed that all belts and pulleys are free and turning. Can you advise?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Our problem is very likely caused by either your seat safety switch, or the wiring connector that attaches to your seat safety switch. Remove the connector from your seat safety switch. Give your wiring connector a good cleaning, and lightly lubricate it. Re-attach it to your seat safety switch. Now, give your mower another try, and let's see what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that, even eliminated the switch by putting a jumper wire on it. If that was the problem, it would not start. The mower starts and runs good.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a continuity tester, or a multimeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OHM meter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
multimeter
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! I would like for you to test your seat safety switch. This switch is a Normally Closed switch. Can you check your switch with the button in and with it out? Let's see if your switch is working properly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have done that and it is working properly
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Are you familiar with wiring diagrams?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I have it right here
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Can you give me just a minute? I would like to outline something in my wiring diagram.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem, I have the original Safety/Operators Manual and it has both the wiring schematic and the harness routing drawing. It has 3 witches that I can see, seat, brake/clutch and engaging the blades. I was thinking something was up with these safety switches. Just thinking out loud.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I have marked the route of your kill circuit.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Click on the link above.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Notice in the wiring diagram, that you only have two circuits for shut your engine down.1st - When you turn your ignition switch to off position, M + G make send a ground to your ignition coil to shut your engine down.2nd - When your seat switch closes, it sends a ground directly to your ignition coil to shut your engine down.If your ground circuit opens at your ignition switch, then the only way to shut your engine down, will be by turn your key to off position.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
So, if your ignition switch is okay, then our problem has to be in either your seat safety switch, or the wiring connector that connects to it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, well I thank you for the information and I will look at the seat switch closer to see if that is the issue. Have a good day
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome! I hope all goes well for you.