Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have briggs & stratton engine starts but wont run. New carbureto

Customer Question

I have briggs & stratton engine starts but wont run. New carburetor, new gas. (7 HP Model #171432-1111-01 on a Troy-Bilt tiller
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Remove the spark plug and with it grounded to the engine, see if it has spark when cranking. If no spark, then the kill switch is suspect! If it has spark, put finger with rag over the spark plug hole and see if it has enough compression to move your finger when cranking. With spark and compression, put a teaspoon of fuel into the cylinder, re-install the spark plug and see if it will run for a few seconds. If it does, check the fuel supply to the carburetor. We can continue from here, thanks.