Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Was just mowing and mower quit. Coasted down and is definitely

Customer Question

Was just mowing and mower quit. Coasted down and is definitely low on compression. Not too familiar with working on engines. Hear a wheezing when pulling cord through. Anything I can check further?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
It is very possible that you have a broken connecting rod. This is the rod that connects to your piston. Remove your spark plug, then insert a screwdriver into your spark plug hole. Next, pull your rope slowly to see if your piston rises to the top of your cylinder.
If your piston goes up and down, as it should, then the next thing is to check for a valve related issue. We can continue from here. Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can perform that check, but I noticed that I seem to have compression when throttle is OFF, but as soon as I crack it open, the compression characteristics change to very little compression. Does that change anything?
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
What brand is your mower and your engine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Briggs and Stratton on a Sutech mower (33")
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for this information. Check the movement of your piston first, then we will continue from here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unable to insert screwdriver. I looked in with a flashlight and pulled chord and the object that is there does not move.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for checking. Put your finger over your spark plug hole, then pull your rope. Let's see if there is enough pressure to move your finger. Keep away from your spark plug wire.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I barely feel anything with my finger over the hole and pulling the cord through.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
This confirms that you either have a broken connecting rod, or a valve related issue. What are the model, type, and code numbers for your engine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
28B702 1001-E1 991104ZD
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
I took a look at a breakdown of your engine. Our problem is definitely internal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. I will make arrangements with my local dealer who I bought the mower from.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Very good! I do hope all goes well for you.