Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

We have a craftsman PYT 9000 which we got back from service,

Customer Question

Hi, we have a craftsman PYT 9000 which we got back from service, again, last month. Only problem is starting it, everything else works. Service replaced filters (fuel, oil). Started the first time but hasn't since. Battery is charged and turning over nicely. We're now clueless and would like to spray some Gumout in the carburetor but it is of a type we're not familiar with. Any suggestions? Thanks. Mike
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! What engine is this? Is the choke part of the throttle, or have its own choke cable? Does the choke close completely when the cable is pulled?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Curtis, the engine is B&S 26 hp extended life v-twin. As for your other questions, I'm gonna have to wait on daylight tomorrow to check and get back with you. Mike

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will be here tomorrow. The carburetor also has an electric solenoid in it that plugs the main jet. If this solenoid does not click open as soon as the key is turned on, the engine gets no fuel! Here is link to the carburetor it should have. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_intek_v-twin_carb.asp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, getting back to the questions. Yes, the carb in the link looks like ours, with the exception that the throttle cable is on the left side (looking from the front) rather than in the center as in the pictures.

The solenoid does click when we turn the key on.

So the carburetor is sealed, right? I cannot see a way to spray Gumout in there.

By the way, not starting is a problem we've traditionally had with this tractor. Once it starts, it runs just fine. But right now we are at a loss to figure out how to get it started.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the late response, we have been flooded and out of electricity for the last 30 hours! The choke flap in the carburetor , is it closing completely for start? Did you remove the solenoid and plug the hole for test?