Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a generac generator that will run momentarily then will

Customer Question

I have a generac generator that will run momentarily then will stop. I've flushed the tank, cleaned the carb, and replaced the fuel filter with no success.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Hello!
My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the model and serial numbers of the genset?

What are you calling 'momentarily'? 5 seconds? 30 seconds? 10 minutes? an hour?

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hank - hey, there. I'm working with a Generac GP7500e (Model #(###) ###-#### ***** No.(###) ###-####). There was gas left in the system for a few months so I assumed there was fuel spoilage. I replaced the fuel filter, drained what little remained in the gas tank, replaced with some fresh gas and drained it again, and cleaned the carb. With the fuel system in the on position, it will crank and not start. But if I leave it to sit a few minutes with the fuel system on it will start, run for about 2 seconds and stop. It seems like there's not enough fuel flow.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

The first thing you need to do is to remove the fuel line from the carb, and check the flow from the tank. It will not be a strong flow, but it should be steady.

If you are only getting a dribble, then you either have a venting issue in the tank, or a bad fuel line that is partially clogged.

But I suspect that you are going to find good flow - and that means you have a bad carburetor.

These carbs are not supposed to be taken apart and cleaned, but since you have already tried, you will need to just replace it.

.