Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Have a z-force 23/50 engine would run but blades wouldn't engage.

Customer Question

have a z-force 23/50 engine would run but blades wouldn't engage. (got it used as is) looked at the electric clutch and see wire with plug about 5' long with no lead from there. conected wires from there to what I thought was were it went which was a connector that was jumpered by someone. It was to the right control arm. needless it did nothing to engage blades. I then unpluged the pto switch and jumped two wires there while engine was running. Engine immediately stoped. Starter would not engage with key but if I connect blue solinod wire to positive on battery it only starts with choke on and only runs for 4 to 5 seconds. any recomendatiions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Where do we start? First thing locate the ignition fuse , near the battery and starter solenoid and see if the fuse didn't blow when you were jumping wires! Get engine running again, and then with engine OFF, see if the deck and blades move freely. If they do then again with engine OFF and key off, run two jumper wires from the battery to the electric clutch to see if the magnet in the clutch will engage. If magnet works, the clutch should work. The two wires from the clutch, have to go to the pto switch, or to a pto relay. You will need to use wire colors to find source. Or get the full model number of the unit and find the wiring schematic. Let me know, we can continue.