Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Starter spins but won,t engage flywheel, Replaced battery (175

Customer Question

Starter spins but won,t engage flywheel, Replaced battery (175 CC) and starter, still no luck. Kohler command 20S year 2000. please help
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Battery is too small, but it is not the problem. Do you have the posiitve (red) cable attached to the + terminal on the battery? Batteries come with poles in both directions, and if battery is backward, starter spins, but won't engage, as it is turning backward.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was mowing for about an hour when mower died, Everything died and when I tried to restart that when starter just spins. Replaced battery with 10 more cc then old. I doubled checked and battery is connected correctly
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
?? New battery, new starter and does not engage the flywheel, and it quit under use! You are sure the starter is not turning the engine? Engine with no compression is very easy to spin and starter would have no load. Did you look at the flywheel ring gear when you had the starter off? Try turning the engine by hand , to give the starter another piece of the ring gear to engage. Turn about 1/4 round.