Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Well I have spark and fuel squirting out of the fuel

Customer Question

Hi, well I have spark and fuel squirting out of the fuel pump but still won't go. Any advice?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Make and model? If you remove the spark plug and put a teaspoon of fuel direct into the cylinder, re-install the spark plug, will it start for a few seconds. If it does, the fuel is not getting through the carburetor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1988 ezgo. I sprayed starting flued in there and it didn't do much. The engine turns over and runs just not enough to make it go. Or the clutch is stuck. The main belt spins but not the second belt.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Engine is just not starting. Is this the two cycle engine or the 4 cycle engine? Have you checked the compression? When did it last run? If you remove the spark plug, is it wet or dry? If dry, there is no fuel getting to the cylinder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a two cycle. It ran last week. Spark plug is wet. How do I check compression?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I have one of the two cycles, to check compression you have to remove the spark plug and use a compression gage. Compression needs to be close to 80 psi. If the head gasket is blown, you will have very little compression. Most auto supply's will rent or loan you a compression gage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I'll try that.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Mine had a blown head gasket, caused by the motor mount bolt that goes into the head bolt ,broke the head bolt! Three of the head bolts are used as motor mounts. Let me know, thanks.