Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

My Briggs 18 HP ELS stopped charging. I replaced the regulator

Customer Question

My Briggs 18 HP ELS stopped charging. I replaced the regulator and it still shows a no charge condition. So, I replaced the stator and still it no charge. It's reading 6.5v to 7v. It's like I'm getting a half charge output. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Double check to make sure that the part numbers for your stator, and your regulator are correct. If so, check the ground wire that goes to your regulator. Your regulator must be grounded properly, or it will not work.
Also check your battery. If your battery is faulty, this can be part of our problem. Your charging system will not work, if your battery needs to be replaced. Check your battery voltage, before and after you start your engine.
If your parts are correct, and you have them put on correctly, then I would focus on your battery.