Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Briggs 18.5 twin II that died . when you try to start

Customer Question

I have a Briggs 18.5 twin II that died . when you try to start it it turns but makes a squealing , scraping noise
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Did you remove the belts on the drive and check that it is the engine and not something else? If it is the engine, was it run low on oil? If so, the engine is likely not worth repair and would need to be replaced or may be time for a new mower.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine oil is at the proper level. The engine turns over , there is a kind of squeeling / scraping noise from the engine. I didn't remove belts or anything. I only tried to start the engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The noise may be the starter or the gear that mates with the starter gear. Remove the top cover on the engine, and turn the engine with a wrench on the flywheel nut, to see if it is the engine or the starter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would a broken cam or any other internal damage cause a noise like I'm describing ? It sounds like its coming from the top front of the engine. This engine is on a toro pro line walk behind mower also
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
It could have internal damage. Remove the spark plug and feel for the piston, see if it is moving in the cylinder, if it is not moving, then the piston has separated from the crankshaft. But noise can be anything! Could just be a stick stuck in the upper cover rubbing the flywheel!