Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Im having trouble with my jd 455 diesel pto quits,sometimes

Customer Question

im having trouble with my jd 455 diesel pto quits,sometimes shutting off engine at the same time
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have also installed new jd key switch last year,also bizzare when this happens and u hold brake down to start ,it will start but as soon as I let go of brake it quits running
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i wiggled the purple wire on stater and it sarted mowed for a while hit pot hole and quit again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i meant sarter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dang i cant spell.....starter
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! You are loosing voltage to the pto and the fuel shutoff solenoid. That is why they shut off. They both have to have full 12 volts to keep going. The power for the keyswitch and the pto/fuel solenoid comes direct from the positive post of the starter solenoid . You wiggled wires at the starter, that is where I would start looking for a bad connection or a broken wire!