Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have an Excello high pressure washer with a Tecumseh 5 HP

Customer Question

I have an Excello high pressure washer with a Tecumseh 5 HP engine. The engine was stored several years with the fuel not drained. The engine did not start with the normal priming. I disassembled the carb, cleaned it as best I could, replaced the float needle, float needle seat gasket, bowl gasket. After reinstalling the carb, the float control seems to be OK, but the primer does not function. I'm able to start the engine by "priming" with an oil pumper can filled with gasoline, but it still dies out before the normal jet system can start feeding. The spark and compression seem OK. I'm supposing there's a ball check somewhere in the primer system that not functioning properly, but the primer is not designed to be disassembled. I'm planning to see if my (mower, etc.) dealer has a replacement carb.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer, when you cleaned the carburetor sometimes it needs the bulb to be removed and the ports behind it sprayed out and replaced . To remove the bulk you can use a pair of pliers to grab the bulb and remove it and there will be a little metal ring that you an use a flat screw driver to remove . You can spray out the port behind it , make sure the center jet in the middle of the carburetor is open and the holes in the bowl bolt as well . Then replace the primer bulb with a new one . When you replace it the ring goes over the bulb so the bulb is sticking through the ring with the tabs facing the outside of the carb so you take a flat head screw driver and push the ring in which locks the bulb in
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi have you made any progress on the carburetor?