Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a JD 175 Hydro tractor. There is no spark even after

Customer Question

I have a JD 175 Hydro tractor. There is no spark even after changing the spark plug
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Does this engine have the single one wire igniter mounted on the engine cowling? Deere site is down and I can't pull it up! If it does NOT have the igniter, remove the single kill wire on the coil, and check again for spark. If no spark, the coil has failed, as the coil and the magnet in the flywheel is all that makes the spark.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is a single wire coming out of the engine block to the top of the spark plug.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
On the other end of the spark plug wire is the coil. The top cover would need to be removed to get to the coil and kill wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK... when I remove the top cover (will do tonight when I get home), what do I look for on the coil and kill wire and what do I need to test?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
You just need to remove the single wire on the coil, then check for spark. If no spark, you need a new coil.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK .. I will check. What typically is the cost of a new Coil? Also, do you have the part number that I can reference when I talk to the John Deere parts center to order the part.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Deere parts are not on line for some reason today! I have not been able to use them all morning. Just tried , and no go! I would guess the coil is $50.00. I will keep trying!