Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a Kohler 8 engine driving a Hayter mower. Recently

Customer Question

I have a Kohler 8 engine driving a Hayter mower. Recently it has stopped after about 30 minutes although it is not overheating. If left for about an hour it will start again. What do you think is the cause?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** thank you for using Just Answer. I think the first two things I would check for is spark and compression. I know you said you checked for spark etc but was that when the engine was cold ?. A faulty coil will produce spark until it gets hot then stop so u would check for spark right after it shuts off . If it has spark my next concern would be compression, a 4 cycle engine needs 60 psi of compression to run or higher , most have 75 to 80 . If you can get access to a compression tester test the compression before starting it and if it's 75 etc start it and run it till it dies then carefully remove the hot spark plug and test the compression again and if it's 55 psi then you know it's a valve or ring issue