Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

John Deere 2010r

Customer Question

.. The issue is with the  tractor a jd2010r , the generator went bad so I purchased a Yanmar alternator which has the built in voltage regulator I am looking to eliminate the voltage regulator and use just the alternator but do not know how to wire it correctly. I was wondering if you can help me find a diagram..

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Don't try to eliminate the regulator! Leave it and locate the output wire from the alternator and attach it to the battery positive terminal. You will need a wire from the key switch to energize the alternators field coil when you turn on the key. The existing regulator can stay. You just won't use it for charging the battery. My choice for an alternator would have been a one wire Delco that one has a single wire to the battery positive circuit! .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It appears now the generator light illuminates and when the tractor runs for fifteen minutes or so it has a very hard time starting...it seems like now it's not getting gas.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Gas engine or diesel? Does it have an electric shutoff , engine kills with key, or with pull cable? If battery is low , the kill solenoid can keep engine from starting, by not opening the fuel.??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Gas, no electric shut off..

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
OK. What do we need to be doing? Finding why it does not start or making the alternator charge the battery? Do you have a voltmeter to test the output from the alternator? The output has to be above the battery voltage.