Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a Troy Built Pony w/a &S 17.5 OHV that i used one day & turned it off &

Customer Question

i have a Troy Built Pony w/a B&S 17.5 OHV that i used one day & turned it off & now it will not start. No noise when I turn the key.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Do you have a 12 volt test light, or a multimeter? We need to confirm, whether or not, you are getting voltage to your ignition switch. Was your original 20 amp fuse blown?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I do not have either of them
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Was your original fuse blown? Did you ground the green wire with the bolt that secures your solenoid to your frame? If your solenoid is not grounded properly, your solenoid will not work as it should. Can you spin your engine by hand?
Check your green ground wire again. We can continue from here. Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No original was not blown. Replaced it anyway. The green wire was put on good.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
These are just troubleshooting questions. What are the part numbers for the new ignition switch you purchased. I would like to check something. Is your new switch OEM or Aftermarket? Switches can look identical externally, but the internal contacts can be oriented totally different internally. Can you purchase, or borrow a 12 volt test light?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
New MTD(###) ###-####. I might be able to buy or borrow a 12 volt test light
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
A test light is inexpensive, and will be a big help. That is the correct switch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. I pick up thetest light. If you could give me a few things to check, that would save time
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
To begin, remove the wiring connector from your ignition switch. Use your test light to probe around your connector, to see if one of your wires will light up your tester. There is a double set of red wires in your connector. These wires should light up your tester. Have you checked your battery to see if it still has full charge? If your red wires light up your tester, lock your parking brakes, then run a jumper wire, from your double red wires, to the orange wire in the connector. Let's see if your engine will spin.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only the red/white lit up in the connector. what do u mean double red? 1 red/white & 1 red
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You wrote the same response twice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I sat on the seat & pushed in the brake. Made sure it was in neutral, then jumped the red/white to the orange & got nothing. Also tried with the connector connected & turned the key & checked for power on the solenoids orange wire, nothing
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
The next thing to check to see if you are getting to your brake safety switch. There is an orange wire on both sides of your connector. Check to see if your tester will light up on both sides (orange wire) of your connector. Make sure your brake is fully depressed. You may have to get someone to assist you. Double check to make sure your orange wire is still attached to your solenoid.
Sorry about the double response.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
You circuit goes in and out your brake safety switch, then in and out your pto safety switch.