Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

John Deer 2001 LT155 sometimes the tractor will backfire and

Customer Question

John Deer 2001 LT155 sometimes the tractor will backfire and shutoff when i go from forward to reverse then its hard to get started ,then it will run fine no matter what i do.
i have bypassed the reverse switch
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! There is a fuel solenoid in the base of the carburetor, It may be loosing voltage when you go to reverse, I like to remove it and replace with the regular bowl bolt, or cut the tip off and use it as a dummy. It is anti-backfire solenoid and its purpose is to keep engine from backfiring once when the key is turned of. Serves no other purpose. It plugs the main jet, so it can kill engine and make engine hard to start. ???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi curtis i cut off the tip off . is there anything else to check
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
No change with tip cut?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no change with the cut tip
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
You have to find out if it is losing spark or fuel when it shuts down. Take a spare spark plug and when it quits and does not want to start, remove spark plug wire and attach spare spark plug, ad with it grounded, see if you have spark when cranking. If it has spark we have to assume it is something else! Kohler engine makes spark only with magnet and the coil. Nothing else needed. Why it cuts out when changing direction makes no sense!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked for spark aok fuel aok how about a bad safety switch would that make it a go no go problem ??
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
You have bypassed the RIO switch, which is the only switch that should affect unit. And all it does is kill the pto! You have a seat switch, a brake switch and pto switch. I don't see any of these cause this! I'm thinking maybe seat switch. Could the seat be moving when you go from forward to reverse?