Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

I have a toro 12 - 38 hxl. I bought two weeks ago from a used

Customer Question

I have a toro 12 - 38 hxl. I bought two weeks ago from a used dealer. Ran nice then pulled it behind garage. Went to start it ten minutes later and would not start. All safety switches ok. Changed solenoid, battery. Rebuilt starter. No spark at plug. Whining noise when turning key. Tried to jump solenoid with screwdriver but no turn over of engine.I am at a loss of what it could be.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.
This sounds like the starter gear is worn out. This is a plastic gear that is on top of the starter. They can be replaced with a new one fairly easily. that is what the Whining sound usually is.
If you have no spark at the plug, the problem is usually the seat switch is not working properly.
If the seat switch is not the problem causing a lack of spark then it is likely that you have a bad ignition coil