Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

After running my 20 hp kohler it won't restart

Customer Question

After running my 20 hp kohler for awhile it won't restart if I shut it off. After a couple of hours it will start right up and run alright till I stop it again.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Model number? Age? Application? When you shut it off , will it turn the engine, or the engine does not spin to start? Or it spins, just does not start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tractor is a Duetz Allis make by Simplicty. It has a kohler mag 20 engine and is 23 yrs old. It turns over just fine but it won't restart without setting for a couple of hrs. It doesn't have to working hard for this to happen.allis
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
With this engine it is possible the valves are too tight, with zero clearance. As engine warms, the valve clearance gets less and the valves don;t fully seat, causes loss of power and will not start, until engine cools off. Remove the cover for the crankcase vent and check the valve clearance. If there is none, then the valves need to be adjusted! Nut the kicker is that the valves have to be removed and the tips ground to get the clearance! Here is link to the service manual. Left click on the link to highlite, right click to access. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_2204_b.pdf