Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Need help wiring briggs engine I had a 15.5 hp model 31a607-0458-e1

Customer Question

Need help wiring briggs engine I had a 15.5 hp model 31a607-0458-e1 it connected with a six pin connector. The connector had a black and gray wire going to the carburetor and then a red and orange wire that connected to the alternator I think. The other two holes of the connecter do not have any wires.
Went to Northern Tools today and picked up a new engine to replace the old one. It is a 31r907-0007-g1. They said this engine would replace the
31a607-0458-e1. So now I have it home and the wiring is different.
First it has a small black box on the side of the engine that the other one did not have. It only has one red wire coming out from it.
So I had a gray,black,orange and red on the old wire plug and on the new engine we have only a gray,black and red wire. There is no orange wire.
What do we do?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Here is everything you ever wanted to know about the Briggs wiring! Left click to highlite the link, right click to access.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------http://www4.briggsandstratton.com/miscpdfs/RNT/alternator_replacement.pdf