Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

2007, 33" craftsman walk behind with 10.5hp briggs.

Customer Question

2007, 33" craftsman walk behind with 10.5hp briggs. carb kit today and still wont run long without "throttling" with hand over intake. Constant "hunting"
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Did you soak your carburetor, prior to cleaning and putting in the carburetor kit? You still likely have a clogged jet, or fuel passage inside your carburetor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cleaned everything, jet, passages, etc, also blew compressed air, new gas. Hard to start after it dies.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Try spraying some carburetor cleaner directly into your carburetor to see if your engine will start up a little quicker. Will choking your carburetor, make any difference when the hunting starts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

gas directly in ultimately helps, almost sealing intake with hand and throttling helps, hunting persists while throttling

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this information. How long has it been since your engine last performed to your satisfaction.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no idea, bought it used today. knew it didnt run right, figured carb kit would be most of issue

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
There is a possibility that you may end up needing a new carburetor, but I suggest that you try soaking the carburetor you have, first, just to be sure. Sometimes carburetors can be very hard to clean well enough to perform as it should. I have soaked carburetors for several hours, and ran them through several cycles in my ultrasonic cleaner, and still had to replace the carburetor, with a new one.
Did you use a small wire to help clean your carburetor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. it has a jet or orifice in a plastic pickup tube that was clogged.i cleaned it. main jet rests against it, also cleaned. daylight thru both.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the model and type numbers for your engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Family 6bsxs.3442vm. 276469
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this information. Based upon what we have discussed, I still feel you should give your carburetor a good soaking, in a good quality carburetor cleaner, due to you not knowing the history behind your mower.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I;; sure try

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I do believe this will help a lot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cleanliness was not the problem, I figured it out.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You have figured out the cause of the problem??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Valve needle not seating in fork of float, thus float keeping valve closed
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I am glad you have found the problem. I do hope all continues to go well for you.