Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a john deere 727a and it has just this season started

Customer Question

i have a john deere 727a and it has just this season started to sputter and die when the blades are engaged and then afterwards it sputters and dies without the blades angaged once i try to move it. i always have to choke it to get it to start even when warm but i can live with that.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Have you ran a cylinder test , to be sure the Kawasaki twin engine is firing on both cylinders? Loosen the spark plug wires and with engine idling, remove one wore at a time to see if cylinders are equal, if engine dies when one is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. You would want to check for spark and compression. If cylinders are equal, then we will assume it is a fuel problem. Let me know, we can continue. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when i first started it up. it idled fine and i loosened each wire individually and both cylinders are working fine. i turned on the blades and it died immediately. next time i turn the blades on and off very quickly to get them moving a little and turn them on again and the blades ran fine for round around the yard then it started sputtering and i would have to choke it to keep it from quitting but even then it ran very rough. even with then blades off then, it ran rough and would die unless choked. what should we try next?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a voltmeter to check the charging system? There is a fuel solenoid in the carburetor, and if voltage drops, as when blades are engaged, the fuel solenoid will try ti kill the engine. I would check the fuel solenoid, or remove it and plug the hole for test.