Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Replace drive belt on model 911516 Ariens walk behind mower.

Customer Question

Replace drive belt on model 911516 Ariens walk behind mower. Have the belt on but no tension. How do I adjust tension?
Thank you, Don
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! The idler pulley arm has a tension spring that pulls the idler pulley against the back side of the belt to tighten it. Is the idler on the back side of the belt and the spring in place? See link.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------http://www.partstree.com/parts/ariens/mowers-walk-behind-lawn-mower/911516-lm21sw-ariens-21-self-propelled-lawn-mower-6-5hp-b-s-sn-005106-above/blade-and-belt/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Curtis,
The idler pulley arm and belt are in the right place but there does is no spring to it. By the looks of the pulley wheel,all grass stained I'm not sure if has had tension. Could the spring be missing. If so, I don't see what it would hook to .The idler wheel doesn't Spin, or should it? Also how tight should the pulley nut be, real tight or loose as it now is?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Did you look at the link I attached earlier? The spring must be missing. and the pulley should rotate freely! The idler pulley nut needs to be tight, it should not be loose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Curtis
It appears I will need new pulley and spring to get things working. Hope I can get back to you next week when the Ariens dealer is open if I have a few questions. Thank you for the help thus far, Don
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
you can order the parts through the Partstree link I sent! But that s your choice. Let me know .Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Curtiis BI got all together. Found the spring and able to free up the wheel.Thanks again, Don
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Good job! Please rate and accept to close the question. Thanks.