Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have an lt166 and the hydrostatic drive belt started slipping

Customer Question

I have an lt166 and the hydrostatic drive belt started slipping off. I replaced it and its still is too loose. THe tractor barly moxes and final the belt kicks off the transaxle pulley. the transaxle pulley seems to have some side to side play.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Is the idler spring in place that moves the idlers against the drive belt? That is what keeps the belt tight. Here is link showing the idlers and the spring setup. Left click on the link to highlite it and right click to access.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/deere_lt160_auto_belts.asp
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/deere_lt160_auto_belts.asp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had already done all that you shared. The belt is installed per your photos. However the belt seems to be too long as the idler pulley assembly is pulled as forward as far as it can. I didn't change the position on the one idle pulley as it can slide within the assembly. Its loose just like the original belt and it acts as if the transaxle needs to be slide back wards - but that doesn't make any sense. Any way yes the idlers look like your photos and the springs are in place. I have moderate experience with mechanical devices. Remember I told you the rear hydrostatic pulley seems a little loose with some side play.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The rear pulley has nothing to do with keeping the belt tight. I would take another look at the idler assembly. Is the flat idler on the backside of the belt, and the grooved idler on the grooved side of the belt, pinching the belt between them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree that the rear pulley has nothing to do with the belt tightening. I was wondering if I need to look at it for wear as it wiggles quite a bit. Not sure I exactly understand your statement but the belts are installed as per your picture in the link you provided. The back side of the belt is on the flat idler and the vbelt is in the grooved idler. If I remember correctly the flat idler can be moved front to back on the idler assembly - is that correct? If so I could possible get some additional adjustment by sliding the idler pulley toward the mower engine. If so how do you propose to do that.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
You saw the link I sent and belt is on right, and the idler spring is moving the lever to tension the belt, or is something blocking the idler from moving to it's full travel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw the link. I have confirmed that belts are installed per your link. Can I attach my photo so you can see how mine is installed?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Sure , attach some pictures.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Curtis that was a question - how do I attach pictures?
Its getting late. perhaps we can try again tomorrow.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
There should be a tree or paper clip icon above the typing bar, used to attach pictures. I will be here tomorrow. I assume the belt is same length as the original? 1/2 X 92 inches? M144044 Deer number.