Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a CC LTX 1050 KW, M/N 13WF91AP010 When mowing, i.e.

Customer Question

I have a CC LTX 1050 KW, M/N 13WF91AP010 When mowing, i.e. PTO engaged, I can mow for an hour, or so, before the battery runs down. This is a new problem. My mower worked fine last year so I pulled flywheel to find mice had nested and gnawed some of the wiring. I spliced in new wiring but problem still exists. New rectifier and charging coil and took off deck. Charging system can't keep up with PTO energized. Don't have an appropriate VOM, but a little ammeter shows PTO is pulling about 6 amps. So my question is: What should current draw be on PTO clutch?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Pto clutch should draw less than 5 amps. Your's is marginal. What kind of battery do you have? 350 CCA or more? Stator/charging coil has to put out at least 28 volt AC with it unplugged from the rectifier. The rectifier would put out 1/2 of the stator voltage in DC volts. Were the magnets in the flywgheel undamaged?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll see if I can borrow a voltmeter that can measure AC volts that low. The battery is a WalMart replacement. I'll check for CCA and verify its the correct battery. My main concern was current draw on clutch and you answered that so I'll do some more checking. Thanks Curtis. you have been very helpful.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Please rate and accept to close the question.