Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Doug have a problem with my 17 hp Kohler JD GT262. Last fall

Customer Question

Doug have a problem with my 17 hp Kohler JD GT262. Last fall I put a new fuel pump on. Was running fine now it started dying under load and runs only with choke fully engaged. I see air bubbles at the bottom of the fuel filter when it is running. Was running fine this started just all of a sudden.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.

Hello Bryce. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.

Many times when an engine will only run when the choke is fully engaged, indicates a fuel restriction inside your carburetor. First check to see if the fuel shut off solenoid under your carburetor is working properly. It should click each time you cycle your ignition switch on and off. Your fuel shut off solenoid has a spring loaded plunger, that should retract, to allow fuel to flow though your carburetor, when your switch is on.

Also, check to see if you are getting a steady flow of fuel from your fuel tank, to your carburetor. If your fuel shut off solenoid is okay, then you very likely will need to give your carburetor a really good cleaning. We can continue from here. Thanks!