Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

I have a John Deere 110 with a 10hp Tech. It was a magneto

Customer Question

I have a John Deere 110 with a 10hp Tech. It was a magneto system which is no longer working. I am trying to convert it to electronic a have run into some propblems. I purchased a kit on line with the pick-up and a Mallory coil I mounted the pick up under the flywheel after removing the stator it is wired to the positive side of the coil. I can get a spark only if and when I flip the toggle switch I installed. The fly wheel has two pick-up pins on it does the new pick up have to extend over those pins to get a repetative spark?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
First of all, I do not know of ANY conversion kits that will work on this engine.
You are most likely beating a dead horse.
Second, those pins are called Trigger pins that are used to trigger the ignition at the right time. They go with the original ignition system and most likely would not be used with any conversion kit.
They only way you have a chance of getting this working is to contact the manufacturer of the conversion kit and see if it was actually made for you exact engine and then get complete instruction.
My gut feeling is that this is not going to work at all with your engine.
Please leave a good rating for me and let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.