Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

My LTX1050KW Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor has a problem with the

Customer Question

My LTX1050KW Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor has a problem with the PTO. I will be mowing along and the blade just shuts off. If have removed the belt covers from the deck and cleaned out all of the debris, but that did not stop the problem.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be assisting you with your question.
How long does it take for your blades to start working again, after they shut off? How old is your battery?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Itr starts as soon as I reset the PTO switch. The time varries on how long it will run before it shuts off. I have a new battery.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
If you have a 12 volt test light, or a way to check for voltage, check to see if you are getting voltage to your pto clutch, immediately after your blades shut off. We can continue from here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a voltage meter, but where do I attach the elrctrodes rto teat the voltage?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
There is a pigtail attached to your pto clutch. Dis-connect the connector from your pigtail. Lock your parking brake, turn your ignition switch, and your pto switch on. Set your meter to read dc voltage. Ground your black probe, and use your red probe to check both wires in your connector, to see if one shows voltage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'll try it and get backk to you. Thanks
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Question: Since my isue is that the PTO clutch keeps shutting off making me have to reset the switch to turn it on again, isn't it a given that the clutch is being electrically activated and therefore electricty is getting to the clutch?Could the safety shut off switch under the seat be faulty? If that is a possibility, how do I test that?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I have checked for a wiring diagram, to use for troubleshooting this problem. I was unable to find one. Your seat switch could be faulty, but your pto switch, or your pto relay, could be as well.
We need to confirm if you are loosing voltage to your pto clutch, or if you are loosing ground to your pto clutch, when pto clutch shuts off. With a wiring diagram, we can trace your circuits and test your switches. I can try again tomorrow, to find a detailed wiring diagram, or I can opt out, to see if someone else has the necessary information to pinpoint your problem. I rather not guess.
Please let me know, and we can continue from here. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only way I know of to get to the PTO clutch is to drop and remove the deck. I'll do that tomarrow and get back in touch.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You will not need to remove your deck in order to troubleshoot the wiring to your pto clutch. The wires that are attached to your pto clutch, will have a connector under your hood. This connector, connects the wires to your power source. You can test for voltage and ground, at the connector.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where will I find these wires, are they in a wire harness?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Locate your pto clutch. You will need to look from the underside of your mower. You will see some wires attached to your pto clutch. Trace these wires back toward the rear of your mower, until you see your connector.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Click on the link below to see an image of a connector similar to yours.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have found a box like connector in the vacinity of the thin flat rectangular plug noted in the picture. I assume this is the plug we are looking for. How will I know which of the connectors within the plug are the powere source for the PTO clutch? Are they color coaded?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You should see a solid white wire, and a white wire, with a blue strip. The wire with the blue strip is your positive wire. The solid white wire is your ground wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have found a wire harness coming out of the engine cover that connects to a wire harness heading in the direction of the PTO clutch. However, none of the wires either going into or out of the conector are the colors you described.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
What color are the wires that goes from the connector, to your pto clutch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
LOL, I knew you were going to ask that question. I'll go drop the deck and I'll get back a.s.a.p.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Take your time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I droped the deck and discovered that there i a red and a black wire going to the PTO clutch.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Check for voltage on your red wire, just to confirm voltage, while your mower is still cold. Immediately after your pto clutch shut off, during operation, check again for voltage. Let's see what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have run the engine for quite some time now with the PTO switch enguaged and it will not malfunction.
Even though I knew the PTO was getting electrical power, because it was running, I tried to disconnect the wire harness to verify current and the engine shut off. This is probably because my actions disconnected the power to the safety switch in the seat which I assume is a constant on switch.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Will your engine re-start if you re-connect the wiring harness? Your engine should off, because when you were trying to disconnect your harness, you lost power to the fuel shut off solenoid, under your carburetor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it restarts OK when I reconnect the wire harness.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for letting me know. Run your mower as you normally would. Let's see if your pto clutch will shut down after a while. We can continue from here. This is just a part of our troubleshooting steps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like I said, I ran the engine for quite some time with the PTO clutch enguaged and it would not malfunction, or shut off of it's own accord..
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You may have had just a loose or faulty connection causing our problem. This is why I want you to test run your mower again. When you disconnected, then re-connected your connector, this could have solved the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I connected and re-connected the connecter yesterday and tried to mow and it cut off as it had before. However, if you want me to re-attach the deck and try it again, I will. Let me know your thoughts.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I would give it another try, just to be sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a question. If I go through putting the deck back on and it continues to do what it was doing before, what's the next step?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
The next step will be to troubleshoot to see if one of your safety switches, or a relay, is intermittently failing. It can take some time to actually pinpoint the cause of electrical failures. I try to check the less complicated possibilities first, then continue from there.
Your engine will continue to run, even with a faulty pto switch. Your pto switch has a start circuit, a circuit to your pto clutch, and a kill circuit, to shut down your engine. All of these circuits are independent within one switch.
If restarting your pto switch, causes your blades to spin again, then the circuit within your switch, for your pto clutch could be faulty. Turning your pto switch on and off, could be momentarily improving the connection when the circuit closes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I enguage the PTO switch the blades will function for 30 seconds to a minute and then shut down.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this information. I need to check something for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. What?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
It is possible that your pto switch is at fault. I do believe your pto clutch is okay. Your pto switch could be working intermittently.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get at it to replace it. It is behind the gas tank.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the correct Part # ***** the PTO switch that fits my machine.
I own an LTX 1050KW. The Model # ***** ***** Serial # *****
Kohler 24
Spec# ***** Serial # *****
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I will attach a link to your parts list, and an image to show you how to gain access to the back side of your pto switch. Parts List - Click Here
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Click on the image link above. I have marked it for you. If you remove the three bolts, you will be able to move your fuel tank out of your way, in order to gain access to your pto switch.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
The part numbers for your PTO Switch are 725-04258. The switch just snaps in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have ordered the switch and it should be here in three business days. I'll let you know hoe it goes.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for letting me know. I do hope all goes well for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll keep you posted after I install it.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Very good!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Removed the gas tank, replaced the PTO Switch, and re-attached the deck. Mowed 100ft. and the blade stoped cutting just like before. Reset the switch several times and it kept cutting out. What now?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for letting me know. I do not have a detailed wiring diagram, but I would like for you to check something for me. Use your volt meter to check your battery voltage, first with your engine off, then check again as your pto clutch is running. Let's see if your battery voltage is dropping too low.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Be careful when testing your battery voltage. You may need someone to assist you. Watch out for your spinning blades.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I attached my voltage meter to the positive and negative poles of the battery and mowed untill the PTO switch kicked out. There was no fluctuation in the voltage from when the PTO switch was enguaged to when the PTO Kicked out.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
We need to determine if you are still getting voltage to your clutch, after your clutch shuts off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Remove the connector again that goes to your pto clutch. Lock your parking brake, turn your ignition switch to on position, turn your pto switch on, then probe your connector to determine which wire is your positive wire. After you determine which wire is your positive wire, you will need to check this wire for voltage, immediately after your pto clutch shuts off. This will confirm whether you are still getting voltage to your clutch, after it shuts off.
You may have to pierce your wire in a convenient location, in order to perform this test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While I tried this on before, and as I indicated, the PTO clutch would not malfunction. I'll try it again with the deck on. I will piercing the red wire to the PTO with a pin to attach the voltage meter to the line and we will see if we can get the PTO clutch to fail while under power.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
The reason your pto clutch would not malfunction, when your deck was off, was likely because there was not a load on your pto clutch. With your deck attached, your deck belt creates a load on your pto clutch, as your blades spin.
You stated that your pto clutch malfunctions after*****your mower 100 ft., or until your pto clutch cuts off, then do your testing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I must have the wrong wire bundle because the red wire reads constant on voltage.
Question. Since we have eliminated the PTO switch as a cause of the issue, how many other things in the chain can be the cause of the problem?
My daughter lives nextdoor so I borrowed their John Deer lawnmore to cut the grass and their PTO stoped working. I have got to come up with an answer to this problem. My grass is now ass high to a tall giraffe.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
There are a numbers of things that could cause this problem. It could be a faulty reverse safety switch, one of your two neutral safety switches,a brake safety switch, a relay, and the most expensive would be the clutch itself. Electrical troubleshooting can be a long process, even for someone who does this daily. Basically, it is a process of elimination.
Check the battery first on your John Deere.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to know exactly where the wire bundle is that controls the PTO. You showed me a picture of a flat connector and the only connector I could find was on the left hand side of the engine right next to the starter. Is this the correct wire bundle?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Without a detailed wiring diagram, I cannot be exact about the appearance of your connector. The best way to locate your connector, is by tracing the wires that goes into your pto clutch. If you look closely at your pto clutch, you will see some wire leading from it. Follow these wires back to your connector.
If you like, I can opt to give another expert a shot at this. Someone else may have a detailed wiring diagram.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you just check arround and see if anyone of you cohorts has one. I'd hate to have to break in sombody new. Oh and by the way, is there any way I can send you a picture of the connector in question?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can upload an image to our conversation. If you save the image to your computer, you can upload to this page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a picture of the connector in question.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the picture. That's not the connector for your pto clutch. That connector is related to your engine, fuel solenoid, kill wire, charging, etc. Can get a picture of wires coming out of your pto clutch?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Please take a look at these pictures. I have a Cub Cadet similar to yours in my shop. Look closely at your wires, and you will locate them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a picture of the Red and Black wire leading to the PTO.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Those wires goes from your clutch, to a connector. Trace your red and black wire, from your clutch, back to where these wires connects to a connector. Based upon the last image you sent, you have a heavy build up of debris on your pto clutch. Your pto clutch could be working intermittently. This is why we need to determine if you are getting constant voltage to your pto clutch. a new PTO Clutch is sort of pricey. I do not want to guess.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have foud the connector under a bunch of debris right under the connector I sent you a picture of. Will conduct the voltage test you have suggested and get back to you.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thank you ...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This test was like going to the dentist. When you get in the chair it no longer hurts.
I connected the black lead to a ground and put the red probe in the hole where the red wire in the connector is. I had to mow the entire side yard and half of the back before the PTO cut out. However, the meter was showing that the PTO was still getting voltage.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Thank you for these test results. You have confirmed that you are getting voltage to your clutch, before, during, and after your clutch stop working. Did you happen to notice if your voltage level remained at 12 volts? If you are getting voltage to your clutch, even after it fails, then your pto clutch could need to be replaced, but let's do another test first.
Remember, pto clutches are expensive. We need to check the ground wire that goes to your pto clutch. Find a piece of spare wire. Trim your black wire enough to splice the piece of spare wire to it. Any 14 ga. or 16 ga. wire will do. Now, ground the opposite end of your spare wire to your frame, or directly to the negative post on your battery.
Give your mower another trial run. If your blades continue to spin, then your pto clutch is okay. If your blades stop spinning after a while, then your pto clutch is the problem.
Based upon the results you have given me, your 12 volt circuit is not at fault. You are now testing your ground circuit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I place a ground wire directly into the other side of the connector we just used to test the positive side of the equasion?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I'll try it, thanks. Your working late tonight. Have a Great Memorial Day.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! You too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bypassed the ground to the PTO clutch and cut my daughters front and back lawn, about 2 achers, and the PTO didn't cut out once.
Do you think we fixed the problem?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I will say yes and no. Bypassing your ground did not fix our problem. It does tell me that our problem lies within your kill/ground circuit. I will leave it to you, to continue troubleshooting, or to leave things as they are. If you choose to leave things as they are, I would like for you to check to see if your engine will shut off, if you get off of your seat, while your blades are turning. If your engine continues to run, when you are off your seat, I recommend that you get the problem repaired. It is always best to be safe, in the event of an emergency.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Donald:I have started the engine, engaged the PTO and stood up from the operators seat and the the engine and the PTO shut off.I'm sorry I have kept this file open but we have been receiving lots of rain lately and I can't mow to see if this fix will last.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
That's not a problem. Thank you for letting me know. Keep me posted on what happens after you get a chance to do some mowing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I look forward to hearing your results.