Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a John Deere D105 lawn tractor. Last fall it would not

Customer Question

I have a John Deere D105 lawn tractor. Last fall it would not start, wrote it off as a dead battery. I let it sit through the winter and bought a new battery this year. Installed it yesterday, the tractor wouldn't start again. I jumped it mowed the lawn and shut it off. Curious I tried to start it, nothing. The only way I can start it is with a jump. Bad Regulator?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! It will start with a jump on the battery? Check the battery cable connections! You may have a bad cable or the connection is not making up. You did remove the plastic cap from the battery terminals? Are cable connections original cable ends?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery cables are tight, and when checking resistance between battery terminal and connector it checks out.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
What is battery voltage? New battery would be over 13 volts! What is battery positive when meter is on positive post and frame? Try a jumper cable from battery to the solenoid connection, mirroring the existing battery cable. The try it with jumper cable on the ground side.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what the battery voltage was when new, but now (after mowing my lawn) it is just over 11volts when measuring with a cheap voltmeter. I will charge the battery and try the jumpers and report back.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
11 volts not enough to start engine. Bad battery or charging system is not working. Check voltage at battery when engine is running, should be around 13.5 to 14 volts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I am afraid the charging system is the main problem here. That is why I suspected the regulator, but I am not sure why that would go bad. The connections seam good but I have not checked fully for continuity. They other strange thing is that when the new battery was put in, assuming it was at full charge, it also didn't start. I will get this thing running and check voltages. Unfortunately, it just started raining here.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
!! Ok, let me know when you can. Thanks.