Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

22 hp 46 in deck, engine surges power up power down at a i

Customer Question

22 hp 46 in deck, engine surges power up power down at a idle.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! With Briggs twin engine, have you ran a cylinder test? You may have engine only firing on one cylinder! Loosen the spark plug wires, and with engine idling, remove one plug wire at a time. If engine dies when one wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. Check the dead cylinder for spark and compression If you have both, remove the valve cover and look at the pushrods and rockers. You may have one off or bent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This machine is less than one yr old. While I'm engaging the mower deck it runs smooth .i hear no ticking or banging of motor parts.let Do you have any other possible answers. I also did pull both plugs and the looked used, but burnt or worn out.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Did you do the cylinder test? Best way to know if both cylinders are equal. If a pushrod is off, it wont make any noise. Surging can be cylinder not firing or a lack of fuel, but you have already tried the fuel system with no change!