Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Curtis I have a sears tractor###-##-####I have replaced the

Customer Question

Curtis I have a sears tractor###-##-####I have replaced the carb - fuel filter- cleaned the tank put in fresh gas. replaced the air filter. starts right up runs for three or four minutes then shuts down. I let it cool down for a few minutes starts again then does the same thing. I have a new ngk plug in it. help
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Single cylinder Briggs engine. Do a spark test, take a spare spark plug, and as soon as it quits, remove the spark plug wire and attach the spare plug to the wire, and with it grounded to the metal of the engine, see if you have spark. If there is no spark, the coil is failing and should be replaced, If it has spark, then we have a fuel problem. Maybe solenoid in the bottom of the carburetor is closing. It has to have 12 volts at all times and if it relaxes, it plugs the main jet in the carburetor.